Friday, June 24, 2011

Scientific Approaches for Artist

Most people think that science tries to disfigure religion, and that scientific discoveries disproved the existence of God. But the more I study science the more I came to know God. When I look at nature I saw even the humor of our creator. The ant for instance, very small but was given enormous strength.  Just by simply looking around we will discover that God is continually revealing  Himself and that science has no other options but to affirm His existence.
   As artist practicing for more than 30 years...I can say I had my share and say too when it comes to Art even if I'm mostly self-taught. The short stint for a month long experience as a workshopper at Cultural Center of the Philippines  enables me to take a closer look into the general over-view of arts as I continue my self-search. As far as science is concern I think I have enough doses already of good scientific inquiry by watching National Geographic on TV. I read lots of book on science and in fact it is my childhood ambition to be a scientist, particularly a marine biologist or an archaeologist digging fossils or raiding tomb. 
   Well, after all had been said about my two fold interest I think I can go on and expound a tip or two about scientific approaches in creating artworks. Before I forgot as a Christian since early 80's  I think I can co-relate also this findings with my artistry. Yet I will focus greatly on arts and sciences for this blog...
   Psychology as a branch of science is also very vital in creating a good masterpiece. The great importance of this discipline is the inter and intra personal expression of the artist. We will not paint something that does not affect our emotions or dreams. The social perspective of an individual can greatly affect the art work.
  Physics and Chemistry work towards the craftsmanship and understanding the necessary elements in creating an art. Which I believe is a constant process or the artisan will be left-out in the ever evolving world.
  Technology is also a requirement to understand since we are handling materials that upgrades  from time to time. A good example of relating technology to an artist is the camera. Understanding the functions of a camera can be translated within our own eyes. Like shutter speed or aperture. 
   Biology does not only mean we take nude sessions and try understanding curves and forms. But allowing our mind to realize the functions of each bone structure and how human flesh covers this muscle tissue to be achieve in form and substance. Same goes to flora and all living creatures which will lead us also to Pathology or the study of diseases and we may even go deeper as to study cadaver like most Renaissance artist do from the 14th to 15th century.
   We may not want to go to all the above process like dissecting dead animals but we can take note of these importance to painting especially Anatomy by reading and using the internet for sources.  Science have many other branches that I may not be able to cover all, the same goes to sciences which is too young to understand the infinite God.   
   Science is basically observation.... discovering what will not work and what will. When we reach conclusions in can be assumed as theory or laws. Painting is like performing experiments...and when you experiment you take down notes. This is either via mental memorization or actual notes. Keeping your experimental pieces is vital so never disregard this works, so I advise that you make a portfolio of this collections even if you consider it a failure. Remember a Photocopying Machine (Xerox) was just an accidental discovery. 
The Importance of Observations
    The Secret Art of Looking, in that particular blog I sited some instances where we take for granted our ability to see and how our personal beliefs affects our perceptions.   Awareness and the conscious effort to look into the heart of the matter will greatly help our ability. Like gravity for instance, we know it is there, it is constantly present in our surroundings but we tend to put it aside since we have no practical application of it, let us say, about our relationship to another human being...or is it? Do we intentionally put perfume to attract the opposite sex or it was just a form of habit? Either way, some daily activities became too mechanical that we rarely take the time to focus into it, and that should be the case or we became too busy on tiny details and forget to see the bigger picture
   When to look and when to skip the process? As the need arises...or let me suggest that at least give a couple of minute for our brain to rest and play on this matter at least once a day. As we move on to our search for Realizationism, our brain will be skillful enough and alert us when it is time to focus on trivial details. 
   Observation must have a definite goal...the guidelines would be the universal questions: What, Who, When, Why, and Where. Some answers may be ridiculous or insignificant at the moment but trust me...everything had a reason. and Some of the most silly questions and silly reply are now awarded with Nobel Price 



EXPERIMENTATION
   The actual process of research are done using experimentation or data gatherings. I have mentioned before that my visual manuscripts are my laboratories of experiences. I therefore, suggest that you start your own journal...it doesn't have to follow any standards, just be yourself. The most honest assessment you can make of yourself or what you think you are must be reflected on these pages.
   Here, is where we take down notes of the real feeling we had at the moment...if lacking of words then pictures. Express everything you think worth telling or what others think of you...according of course to what you believed they are saying behind your back. Let it be an outpouring of your soul...
   The Actual Experiencing of Painting
   It is very important to have a good foundation when you paint and this foundations are drawings or sketches. I saw experienced artist who paint directly on canvass without outlining what is on his mind but goes directly into painting. Well, if it works well with you and the result fine, you can do the same...BUT on my case I always go into the process of sketching and planning. Reading, travel, playing, and chatting with friends are also good foundation for your future art works.  Observing the works of others is also very important...like gallery visits or  browsing art related sites. Remember the you and I will never stop learning...once we decided that we know already it will guarantee stagnation and decay of your arts. 
   Don't overlooked The sketch process...I will discuss far more detailed tips on this area on future blogs. In the meantime I like to suggest that you take extra effort on your sketches than the actual painting. To me the pigment applying should be enjoyable and easy flowing than the more refine and stricter discipline of drawing. I always believe in good foundation...paint are there for aesthetic values, craftsmanship, and finishing touches or highlights of designs. Well executed painting can attract an audience...but it all boils to the lines and ideas behind it.
   Again, as I have said I will give you more easy step on drawings base on my experiences and shared ideas from people that I have met...that shall be on future blogs.
   Don't be afraid to paint....This is the part where most gifted artist fail because of fear. Maybe it has something to do with our childhood. Most parents will allow us to draw but wont let us play with paints. Another is some good drawings must end as it is...and we are so afraid it might get ruin once we apply colors from our inexperience hands. 
     Always remember that Art is an evolving process...so it has no particular rule to follow. All I'm saying here are base on my personal experience and may not be applicable to everyone. You are free to go out of the box. But I think, what I am saying here are general rule for artist.
   No matter what medium it is different colors have different qualities. Most blue had the tendency to change color after just a few minute of application, and also different surfaces requires specific approach. 
   Our eyes see and interpret colors at different time of the day...plus the factor of locations like outdoor or indoor paintings. 
   Don't be afraid to show your work. I said be prepared for ridicule and bad comments.
   Don't let your passion takes hold. When we are so absorb with our works we have the tendencies to keep on going...we loose tract of time and even became disoriented with our original purpose and at times don't know when to stop. I suggest that you stop from time to time, or even allow hours to pass by before you continue with what you are doing...this is especially important if you feel you are lost in the middle of something. This will also allow the pigment to cure because most colors tend to change after application. 
   So at this point I would like to give you some time to reflect....


    

   Don't you ever think your idea as insignificant or too ridiculous. Some of those once silly ideas are now awarded with a Nobel Price.

No comments:

Post a Comment